Home Forum Ask A Member Sea King Boat?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

https://fargo.craigslist.org/boa/d/fargo-sea-king/6821510107.html

Is this Sea King boat one sold by Wards, or a different manufacture all together?
      Who made the Sea King boats for Wards?
      Vintage?

Prepare to be boarded!

outbdnut2
      Participant

It looks like a Wards model to me. I’m not sure who made them, but on that boat and many others I’ve seen, there are many things on these Sea King aluminums that look identical to my 14′ 1957 Barracuda, so that may be the manufacturer. I suspect the manufacturer of Sea King may have changed over the years, just like their outboards. Items like the angle pieces with the hole in the center that support the inside of the transom, the rear corner brackets, the way the riveted piece comes up the outside of the bow, the splash rails, and the ribs on the floor all look the same.

There have been at least 4 companies that have used the name Barracuda on their boats but the one below is the only one I’ve seen that made aluminum (thay also made fiberglass).

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Barracuda_Marine

Dave

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by outbdnut2.
        Buccaneer
        Participant

Thanks for the education Dave!

Prepare to be boarded!

gofastgramps
          Participant

this boat is built just like my Crestliner speedster. the deck, ribs, dashboard , transom supports, and corner cap look the same.

Buccaneer
            Participant

this boat is built just like my Crestliner speedster. the deck, ribs, dashboard , transom supports, and corner cap look the same.

Gary, thanks for your reply. Is “Speedster” a term used for your style of boat,
              or the model? I’m not finding a Crestliner Speedster, per se

Prepare to be boarded!

outbdnut2
              Participant

Gary, thanks for your reply. Is “Speedster” a term used for your style of boat,

or the model? I’m not finding a Crestliner Speedster, per se

Crestliner used “Speedster” to designate several different models when they came with a full front deck. Most common are Commander12 Speedsters, Commodore14 Speedsters. See the speedster designation under the outline drawings in the catalog page below from 1958.

http://retrocrestliner.com/images/1958%20Crestliner%20manual%206.jpg

Note the triangular transom support brackets with the big hole in them in the Sea King are not like any Crestliner I’ve seen. I agree the splash rails and a lot of the riveting is similar, but the floor ribs on the Sea King stick up higher than the Crestliner ones…..again – all this matches my Barracuda, and do not match my three Crestliners. I could take pics, but right now the Barracuda is upside down on the trailer with a foot of snow on it.
                Dave

outbdnut2
                Participant

Crestliner used “Speedster” to designate several different models when they came with a full front deck. Most common are Commander12 Speedsters, Commodore14 Speedsters. See the speedster designation under the outline drawings in the catalog page below from 1958.

http://retrocrestliner.com/images/1958%20Crestliner%20manual%206.jpg

Dave

outbdnut2
                  Participant

I agree the Sea King has similarities to Crestliners the way they are riveted, etc., but the floor ribs are higher in the Sea King, and the triangular transom braces with the big hole in the middle are nothing like those used by Crestliner, but match my Barracuda exactly.

I have three Crestliners to compare to.
                    Dave

gofastgramps
                    Participant

it is a 12 foot twin cockpit speedster

Buccaneer
                      Participant

it is a 12 foot twin cockpit speedster

Some how it lost two feet after the ad was posted, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.